With over 1.8 billion monthly logged-in viewers and over a billion hours per day of viewing, it’s safe to say that YouTube video content is one of the most popular forms of digital marketing today. From “how-to” videos, DIY, product reviews, vlogs and more – there are endless opportunities for your business and marketing team to utilize YouTube in your digital marketing strategy if done correctly.
So, what is YouTube?
YouTube is a video sharing platform that people use to watch, like, share, comment and upload their own videos. The video service can be accessed on PCs, laptops, tablets and via mobile phones.
As YouTube is owned by Google, it’s important to remember for your digital marketing strategy that analytics, ads & keywords are important and you will be rewarded for using them as often and as accurately as possible.
Let’s break down the basics. Here is how to set up and run your YouTube channel for optimal digital marketing strategy
1) Log-in. Sign into Youtube and click on the user icon in the top right hand corner of the screen. You must use a gmail account. If you have used YouTube in the past you may already be signed in.
2) Create a new channel. Click on the gear icon (settings). Look for “See all my channels” or “create a new channel”. Add your name or the name of your business and create.
3) Fill in the “about” section. This will include your brand and what viewers can expect to see on your page. This will appear in many places so take your time and do it right. *This will be the section where you can create a link to your website and social media channels*.
4) Cover photo, banner, channel art. Your brand and images should be consistent across all your digital marketing platforms. Choose high-quality images that will stand out and catch your viewers eye. Your cover photo for YouTube should be 2560 X 1440 Pixels with a MAX file size of 4MB.
5) Know Your Content. Your YouTube videos should establish you as an authority while engaging users and providing valuable content – this is the same across all your digital channels. Some examples of content you can create are tutorials on your company products, recorded testimonials or reviews, or vlogs. Target your audience and speak their language.
6) Trailer. Create a “short and sweet” video that introduces your brand and channel. Fill out as much information as possible. Here are some best practices for creating a short video.
7) Upload your first video. You should have some practice for this because you already created, edited and uploaded your trailer. Film, edit and upload video. When uploading a video you will be asked to fill out a description and tags for the video. DO NOT SKIP this step. YouTube is Google owned and this is where SEO and keywords come into play! The Upload option should be at the top right of your screen.
8) Be Consistent. Just like your other digital marketing platforms, you will need to be consistent with YouTube. No one wants to subscribe to a channel that never has any new content or that doesn’t engage.
9) Plan for more videos. After you upload your first video you should already have plans for the next three. This will help you stick to a consistent schedule for posting. Put aside one day a month to record videos. Record a month’s worth of videos (4-5) and then upload them according to a schedule.
10) Integration. Link your YouTube channel to your website and social media platforms.
Youtube is so popular we suggest you upload your trailer and videos to the home-page of your website. You can also integrate videos within your blogs or create vlogs as a part of your regular content schedule.
11) WIX Video. You can add a YouTube playlist directly to your website. You can also add a YouTube feed to your Wix Video widget. Every new video added your channel or playlist will be available in the Wix Video widget.
12) Engage. Step twelve is the shortest, but probably the most important step. ENGAGE! You will need to reply to comments on your videos and start a YouTube community!
13) YouTube Ads. You can create YouTube ad campaigns similar to other social media platforms.
14) Analyze, Optimize, Repeat. Use Youtube Analytics to review the performance of your channel with up-to-date metrics including demographics and traffic sources. Using these analytics you can adjust your strategy to improve the reach of your channel.
At Intuitive Websites, we are the experts in digital marketing. Our team handles everything for our clients, from SEO to content creation and managing all digital marketing channels including YouTube. We do it all for you so you can focus on your core business. Contact us today for more information!