by: Thomas Young
Three Major Traffic Sources of Website Traffic
1. Direct Traffic
This is traffic that comes to your website by typing in your website URL or domain name into their browser or from a bookmarked page on the site visitor’s web browser. Direct traffic is an indicator of your brand’s popularity on the Internet and will usually have the highest conversion rates. Much of this traffic is generated by word of mouth and from offline marketing efforts.
It is always a good idea to have a domain name that matches your company name. For example, if your company name is ABC Widgets your website should be ABCWidgets.com. This will make it much easier for direct traffic to find you. Otherwise, you may end up sending direct traffic to a competitor’s website.
2. Search Engine Traffic
3. Referral Traffic
Five Traffic Generation Areas of Focus
1. Offline Sales and Marketing
2. Search Engines
3. Content Marketing
4. Social Media
5. Partnerships and Links from Relevant Websites
- Include a traffic generation plan for each of these five areas in your overall strategic digital marketing plan. Remember to include offline marketing in these efforts.
- Make sure each area is coordinated with the strategic digital marketing strategy.
- Check assumptions with your website data in each area through your Google Analytics reports and stats.
- Learn more about content marketing and develop a plan for content to drive website traffic.
- Understand the social networks frequented by your target market and develop a strategy to reach them with content posts.
- Learn how to research keywords and the fundamentals of SEO.
- Develop a list of websites that should link to your website and pursue a linking strategy with those companies.
Thomas Young is the CEO and founder of Intuitive Websites. He is an author, speaker and digital marketing consultant. Order Tom’s book “Winning the Website War” to get more digital marketing insights.