Podcast Number 66 – July 2011
In this Internet Marketing Podcast Glenn and Tom discuss the importance of developing and implementing a strategy around lead generation and the specific paths users take before they contact your company via the Web. Website marketers must understand how users prefer to convert and the sales funnel they follow on a Website. This drivers a higher percentage of lead conversions.
What is the “lead conversion funnel?”
- The path users take on your site before they make contact.
- Specific content, photos and Web pages that generally lead to conversions.
- Website visitors can take multiple paths and those paths can be segmented.
- They can also come to your site from other Websites.
What are a few examples of how this funnel works?
- Real Estate Websites start with a home search.
- Product Websites that start with shop and compare.
- The Netflix “How it Works” page.
- Special offers and free samples can be part of the funnel.
- A Facebook referral or special offer.
How should Website owners and marketers go about setting up a funnel on their Website?
- The Website should be designed and developed around the content that will drive conversions and make up the conversion funnel.
- It starts from a strategic standpoint and the content follows.
- The navigation menu supports this path.
- Specific pages can be funnel pages.
- The contact us page is a conversion.
- Website clutter is a barrier to the conversion funnel.
Here are the action items from the Podcast:
- Write a Web marketing strategy for lead generation based on content strategies and specific page views.
- Set-up Google Analytics, along with goal tracking.
- Watch your Webs stats on a regular basis.
- Have an excellent Contact Us page (see our previous podcast).
- Develop and improve the writing skills on your team.
- Write conversion-based content, including photos, images and graphics.
- Include a blog and regular content updates.
- Understand how users convert on your Website.
This podcast is available on iTunes.