Podcast Number 78 — June 2012
Glenn and Tom talk about the changing role of Web content and how to develop strategies that drive results from content marketing on the Internet.
What is content marketing?
- The online distribution of information about your organization that provides value to customers and the target market.
- This content should drive inquiries and sales for your company.
How is content marketing changing?
- It has gone way beyond content on your Website and email marketing.
- Social media has changed how content is perceive and used.
- Content marketing is much more important and it is strategic.
- Content comes in many different forms and is still evolving online.
- Content marketing is interactive and starts a discussion.
What do you mean by content marketing being strategic?
- Content marketing is used to drive leads and sales.
- Marketing has been turned on its head.
- The easy brochure copy content is no longer relevant.
- Content must be relevant and have a great impact for the user.
- Simplicity and direct communication is always best.
What are a few examples of good content strategies?
- For eCommerce Websites it is more specific product information that may not be found on the Website.
- For service-based companies, content that helps the target market do their job better.
- A variety of content types such as video, audio, ebooks, pictures with captions, slide shows, animation, written articles and more.
- A distribution strategy for coordinated distribution of relevant content.
- Content that builds trust and awareness is key.
What are the key action items for the listener?
- Develop a content distribution strategy segmented by user type.
- Work to coordinate efforts from all forms of content distribution.
- Take advantage of what has worked offline.
- Keep content simple and visual when possible.
- Get feedback and measure the results.
- Check out www.AltimeterGroup.com for more information on content marketing strategies.
This podcast is available on iTunes.