We often come across Websites with cryptic content, navigation menus and link titles. On these Websites, it’s difficult to figure out what these organizations do and how they add value to their customers and other Website users. This usually happens because organizations get so caught up on their own internal language that it becomes very difficult for them to communicate about their business in any other way. It can also happen because these Website developers believe that people coming to the site will get their message.
Here are a few downsides to difficult to understand Websites:
- These sites do not convert as well and have high bounce rates.
- Users have no reason to refer people to a site they do not understand.
- The site is hard to read and not convenient for users.
- Competitors can build better sites and draw away traffic.
- Search engines do not recognize the content and the site gets less traffic.
- Sales people have a difficulty referring prospects to the site.
The bottom line? Frustrated users and poor results.
The solution is to hire an outside Web copy writer that can see your business through the eyes of your target market and help you develop Website copy that gets results and is a pleasure to read. Communicate in the language of your broadest target market and avoid your internal language on the Web.