Podcast Number 69 – November 2011
In this Internet Marketing Podcast Glenn and Tom talk about content for the Web and how often should content be added to blogs and Websites. When is it too much for the user and when is more content needed to drive conversions and traffic?
How often should content be added to a Website or blog?
- It depends on the goals of the site and why is content being added to the site?
- There are pros and cons to the volume and timing of content.
- Content can be added to drive traffic or conversions
How can new content drive more traffic?
- Google is now rewarding new content and punishing stale Websites.
- Find a happy medium from daily posts to monthly updates.
- Think like your target market.
- Seth Godin blogs too much.
- Steve Martin and Stephen Colbert Twitter too much.
What about back-dated content?
- This is OK to help spread out the dates of your posts.
- Does not work as well if you write many articles or posts.
How does new content drive conversion?
- New content creates new search engine landing pages.
- Fresh content shows the site is relevant.
- Content-rich sites compete better.
- Google loves new content.
Who should write the content and how do we come up with ideas?
- Find a writer or do it yourself?
- Content writers for the Web are available for higher.
- Use topics that happen in your everyday work life.
Here are the action items from the Podcast:
- Schedule and write new content based on your site goals.
- Keep notes of interesting stories and events that happen during the work day or week and turn them into blog posts.
- Review www.CastingWords.com
- Content comes in many varieties including videos, audios, photos with captions and more. Use a variety of content sources.
- Track the results in Google and in your stats.
- Go back and listen to our podcasts on content for the Web for more information.
This podcast is available on iTunes.