Getting content done for a Website is a big challenge. Our clients either don’t have time or do not know how to get it completed. It is worth the investment to either learn the skills or hire someone to put good content on the Web.
Why is it such a challenge for small or large businesses to get content to their Website? It takes time, it’s hard to find the time, and it requires skill and practice. Also, the best content resides with just one person or a few people in any organization. Don’t use any of these reasons as an excuse for not getting the content on the site. It can be a team effort. The team will need to have the following skills: a) comfortable with the English Language, b) understanding of how people read Web copy, and c) an understanding of the content and industry.
One way to make all this happen is to hire an external web marketing team to help direct the process to ensure the content is completed. Whether the content is created internally or externally it still requires a process and persistence. If you choose to have content written by an external web copy writer be sure to hire someone that will spend the time to interview the business team and really learn the industry so the final content is relevant and accurate.
What types of content are we taking about?
- Home page copy and branding
- Key bullet points
- About Us content
- Captions and tag-lines
- Product and Services
- Resources based content (blog, information content)
Where can Web marketers go to get resources or get started?
- Keyword research- content should be keyword rich to help draw search engine traffic. However, write for your target market first and search engines second.
- Start with the branding component – homepage messaging.
- Find a copy writer that knows how to write for the Web. If you decide to go internal, make sure they get training to do it well.
- Many good books on Web content
- Call Intuitive Websites to help direct the process and/or find you the right person to write your copy.
Key action items:
- WRITE. Do it every day. The more you do it the better you will get at it.
- Take the time to think about and develop a strategy for Web Content.
- Make it a priority in your Web marketing strategy.
- Share what you have learned, write what you have learned about your industry.
- Find someone to help you or learn yourself
- Make the time, don’t make excuses.
Next podcast will dig a little deeper on this topic. We will talk about content that drives the conversions. Once you have made the time to develop content, next make content that will drive conversions.