Podcast Number 80 — August 2012
Glenn and Tom examine the strengths and weaknesses of the Website Homes.com.
Here are a few observations on the site’s results:
- Can the listener determine the revenue model for Homes.com?
- A very competitive industry and their domain sets them apart.
- What do Homes.com advertisers really want?
- They are making money from ads and visits.
- What pulls the user into the site?
- Focus on a low bounce rate and high page views.
- Look at other revenue models if possible.
- A number one ranking in Google for the search term “homes” is huge. The term gets 45 million searches per month in Google.
- Search results are the biggest part of the user experience.
- Put the home address next to the price.
- Put the address of the home in the title tag.
- Home page search box disappears on interior pages.
- What are the benefits to joining and having a login?
- A great user experience will lead to people converting.
- Ads are for a variety of services, not just realtors.
What are the key action items for the Web marketers at Homes.com
- How can the site move beyond the domain name?
- Conduct user research–take the time to get inside the head of your Website users.
- User testing sessions could be useful to develop new revenue models.
- Build loyalty to the site that will build quality traffic.
- Development of a very valuable email list.
- Local resources should be more prominent.
- Avoid multiple and changing navigation systems.
- A lot is happening on this site and most of the content is ignored.
- Overall a very impressive Website